a haven for nature lovers
Idler's Rest has been a beloved community recreational site since the early 1900's. Scout troops, families, nature lovers and students have gathered here to enjoy and care for this special place for generations. We can't wait for you to continue the tradition with your friends and family.
current conditions (June 29, 2018): trails are in great shape! please use caution at the main footbridge into the cedar grove. the railing has been widened to accommodate a wider bridge.
local wildlife: Mama and yearling moose have been spotted in and around the preserve! please keep dogs leashed at all times and take note of your surroundings. mother moose are extremely protective of their offspring and will respond to any real or perceived threats. if you meet our moose residents, please do not approach or aggravate the animals, for their safety and yours.
Because Idler's Rest is a nature preserve, we ask that visitors respect the following rules:
- Keep pets on a leash
- Keep noise to a minimum
- Pack out trash and pet waste
- Refrain from disturbing plants or animals
- No hunting, firearms and/or paintball
- No fires and no wood-cutting
- No motorized vehicles or mountain bikes
- Groups or large gatherings should call the office for permission prior to your event
- Visit the Preserve during daylight hours only (the Preserve is closed after dark and there is no overnight camping allowed)